Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A New Toy and It's Not Even Christmas Yet!

I don't think I'm the only person with a pressure cooker in the basement, too afraid of the explosion that's sure to happen if I place it on my stove. Well, a friend of mine told me about and then demonstrated her brand new electric pressure cooker. "A new kitchen appliance I do not own?" my brain pondered. Well the next day I got a refurbished Wolfgang Puck 7 cup electric pressure cooker. It arrived yesterday, but I worked late so didn't get a chance to use it. Unable to sleep knowing this little baby was in the kitchen, by 4 AM I was awake and reading the instruction manual. By 5AM I had this luscious soup ready to go. It is amazing and I do love my soup! Here's the ingredients - Enjoy!

Joni's Insomniac Lentil Curry Soup

1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 container sliced/cleaned fresh mushrooms
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp curry powder (adjust to taste)
1 cup lentils
4 cups chicken broth
(Six ingredients- Gotta love that!)

Turn the pressure cooker on and spray some olive oil on the bottom. Once it heats up, saute the carrots and mushrooms until soft. Add the garlic and saute another few minutes. Add the curry powder and stir until fragrant. Then add the lentils and broth. Shut and secure the lid and put on "Soup" setting for 20 minutes.  Carefully release the steam before taking off the lid.
(If you are doing in a soup pot, just simmer about 40 minutes until the lentils are soft.)

2 comments:

Sharon Pool said...

I have an electric pressure cooker and I think it is my most used appliance we own. We make our roasts and many more meals iin it. Thanks for another good recipe to try!

Tracy said...

Gotta Love the pressure cooker! Thanks for the recipe!