Friday, October 23, 2009

A Week of Family Dinners

So, I haven't been posting a lot. Getting back to work full time with the baby has been an adjustment of major proportions. (Especially since we haven't done this is 9 years!)

I wanted to let you know what I've been cooking. It is possible to get dinner on the table for your family even if you aren't uber organized (that would be me!).

MONDAY: Chili - 1lb ground beef w/ onions and green pepper (I just precook and freeze ground beef to use during the week, making this dish super easy), 1 large can pureed tomatoes, one can kidney beans, one can beef broth, add seasonings (chili powder, garlic powder, turmeric, cumin and a pinch of cayenne). Simmer for about 15 minutes and you're done. Top with sour cream and shredded cheese and we have a complete meal.

TUESDAY: Broke out the crock pot. I put in a pound of stew meat, some baby carrots, cut up turnips and a can of mushrooms (drained). Then the magic ingredient - French onion soup mix (Yes, it is high in sodium...). Sprinkle the soup mix on top and cook on low all day. What a great smell when you walk in the door!

WEDNESDAY: Leftovers- this is our late night, so DH and I had leftovers and I put a frozen pizza in for the kids. Made them eat some carrots and fruit with it - so I guess I'm not a total loser mother!

THURSDAY: Stir fry over cauliflower fried rice.
Peanuty Stir Fry - Kyoto Blend Veggies from Market Day, chicken, 1 can lite coconut milk, 2 TB soy sauce, 1 TB red curry paste, 1 heaping TB peanut butter, garlic powder. I browned chicken and set aside and put veggies in microwave to cook. I then mixed sauce ingredients and simmered a bit. I added back in chicken and veggies. We enjoyed this a lot. I'm eating leftover stir fry today over some angel hair cabbage.

FRIDAY: TGIF - going out to eat! I tend to cook over the weekend, so we usually eat out on Fridays. Mom is ready for a kitchen break by then.

OK - so, fairly nutritious food. All done in about 30 minutes with no fuss. You can do this. You can save money and shed pounds by cooking at home. TRY IT!

No comments: