Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sugar Free Oatmeal Choc Chip Cookies


Oatmeal chocolate chip are my hubby's absolute favorite. Finding a low carb alternative to rival his mom's is a quest I will continue, but in the meantime, this sugar free (but NOT low carb) version is tasty and compared to the other stuff sitting around the buffet, not a bad alternative.

Really, really sorry about the picture. It's from my phone. I cant find my camera anywhere....

Preheat oven to 350

1 stick of room softened butter
1/2 cup splenda granular
1/2 cup Diabetisweet Brown (or AnyWhey Gold, or Splenda brown sugar)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cup oats
3/4 cup chopped sugar free chocolate (this is one bar chopped) or use SF chocolate chips

Cream together the butter and sweeteners. Add in the egg and vanilla and keep mixing until fluffy. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients and combine well. Add oats and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.

Drop by one inch balls onto a non-stick cookie sheet (or spray a cookie sheet w/ nonstick spray) and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Let cool slightly before CAREFULLY transferring to rack to finish cooling. These cookies are chewy and they are fragile until fully cooled. Yeild about 2 dozen.
*Why do I use spelt flour? - well, it is a LITTLE higher in protein and lower in carbs than regular white or whole wheat flour. Not much, but I cant tell a difference in the end product, so I use it.
*What is Any Whey Gold? - it's a milk based sweetener that does not cause the blood sugar spike that sugar does. More importantly, it is NOT a sugar alcohol, so it doesnt cause a clearing of the room after ingestion.
*What is Diabetisweet?- it is a sugar alcohol (Isomalt). Sugar alcohols are non-absorbed sugars. They arent absorbed so dont cause rise in blood sugar or a lot of calories, but are digested in the large intestine by gas-forming bacteria. It can cause - well - GAS! These dont affect me or immediate family too much, so I use them. BUT I would always warn a guest about possible side effects.
I have a sugar free biscotti recipe I'm working on. Hope to post soon!

No comments: