Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Snow!

Kids are off today and really wanted to make snow ice cream with them. Well, being the low carbers that we are - no sugar or sweetened condensed milk in the house! So, I'm like a dog with a bone - we WERE going to have some snow ice cream.

I found a recipe for homemade sweetened condensed milk that called for brown sugar. Lo and behold I had some xylitol brown sugar in the cupboard I hadn't tried yet. (Ideal brand).

So this is what I did for the sweetened condensed milk -
2 large eggs (they are from our hens so I don't worry about nasty diseases :) - but use pasteurized egg substitute if you do)
1 cup Ideal (xylitol) brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Mix all that well - but don't beat with your mixer or it will foam up too much.

Then send the kids out to play in the snow and have them bring back about 8 cups of the fluffy stuff.
Mix the snow with the "sweetened condensed milk" and there ya go! It takes awhile to mix it up well. You just have to use the back of your spoon and kind of crush it together. YUM!

FYI- I WILL be using this sweetened condensed milk sub in something else - it is excellent :)

1 comment:

T2Nashville said...

I had been using Linda Farnsworth's recipe for Eagle Brand, but this looks much easier. Will definitely be trying!