Sunday, September 27, 2009

Beef Stew - Yup, it's Fall!

This was a perfect day for some beef stew. I love the comforting smell it brings to the house and it's just so tasty. This would easily go into a slow cooker. use whatever veggies you want. I don't like chunks of tomato or celery in my stew, but many would add those.


Joni's Beef Stew

1 pound beef cut into chunks
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning (or any all purpose seasoning salt)
2 tbl oil (I won't tell you that I use bacon grease, I'll lie and say I used canola oil)

Cut up veggies - carrots, 1/2 a large onion, mushrooms, TURNIPS (yes, use them, they take the place of potatoes and you won't miss that starchy little friend at all)

2 bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups boiling water
2 beef bullion cubes
2 Tbl tomato paste
Mix flour and steak seasoning in a large ziploc bag. Add meat and toss to coat. Heat oil in pan and add steak to brown on all sides. Transfer meat to large crock for oven. Add veggies to the crock. Sprinkle thyme (about a tsp), salt and pepper over top and add bay leaves.
Mix bullion and tomato paste with the hot water. Pour over everything. Cover with foil and bake 400 degrees for an hour and then lower heat to 250 degrees for 2 hours. If you use a particularly tough cut of meat, you may want to cook a little longer on low.

No comments: