Friday, July 10, 2009

Apple Zucchini Pancakes




OK, I told you I was working on combo-ing these together. These turned out like a little bite of apple pie... Seriously.

The pancakes are a bit stubborn to flip. If you are a cottage cheese pancake maker, you'll do fine. If not - listen up - make these fairly small. Cook them LOW and SLOW. Don't be adverse to some butter or canola oil in the pan. Don't expect them to be crispy little hash browns.

OK - on to the recipe.

2 cups shredded zucchini (peel it if you are trying to hide it from the kids or juvenile adults) Put zucchini in colander to drain a bit while you are assembling your ingredients to get out the extra moisture.
1 cup shredded tart apple
4 tbl Splenda granular
1 tsp cinnamon
dash of pumpkin or apple pie spice
1 egg
2 tbl spelt flour (or white, whole wheat, coconut flour - whatever your preference)
2 tbl ground flax (this keeps getting healthier and healthier :) )

Mix all together and let sit for a few minutes to thicken up. In a skillet melt a bit of butter or canola oil. Over a medium low heat (I use 3 on a scale of 10 on my stove. Now if your stove goes up to 11... well then I guess your out of luck!) cook them until browned and CAREFULLY flip.

Transfer to a plate and let cool a bit. They do become a bit firmer after sitting a few minutes. I then put SF caramel on mine!

These definitely passed the taste test for my 15 year old and he got zucchini and flax in a dessert! Yea me!

No comments: