Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Quick, Healthy Dinner

Last night I needed a quick dinner. I had a whole bag of frozen tilapia fillets in the freezer, so did a quick thaw and perused recipezaar.com for some recipes. I came up with this mish mash of several I found on there. It got thumbs up from ALL the family - even the kids. (yes, I hit my head on the counter when I fainted). The little salad you see is cucumber, tomato and basil from my garden with a simple white wine vinaigrette. (1tbl white wine, 2 tbl vinegar, 2 tbl olive oil and a bit of splenda).


~Pecan Coated Tilapia~

5 tilapia fillets

3 oz ground pecans (This ended up being about 2/3 cup after I put the pecans in the blender)

1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (my pepper is very spicy, so you might want to use more depending on your spice)

Salt to taste

1 egg

1 tbl skim milk


Heat oven to 425

In a shallow bowl whisk egg and milk. In another shallow bowl mix pecans, panko crumbs, cayenne and salt. Coat the fish in the egg wash and then in the pecan mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining fish. Bake for 20 minutes.


The fish was very moist and tender. I think adding some Parmesan to the coating would be really good and I'll try that next time. Leaving out the cayenne and maybe using Italian spices...

No comments: